Solid Waste & Recycling
The City of Placentia and Republic Services strive to provide a wide range of solid waste services. Through a contract with the City, Republic Services provides weekly residential, commercial, and industrial refuse services. Additional services available to residents and business owners include:
- Bulky Item Collection - Large household items that cannot fit into containers, available for residential and commercial
- Container Exchange - Containers that have graffiti, are damaged or worn out can be exchanged
- Container Rentals - 3 to 30-yard rental containers are available for residential cleanups and construction debris removal
- Extra Trash Service - Extra weekly pickups are available for a nominal fee
For these services or for further information, contact Republic Services Customer Service Department at 714-238-2444 or visit Republic Services online resource to enter an Online Service Request.
Mandatory Commercial Recycling
In January 2012, Assembly Bill 341 (AB 341) was signed into law in California to help reduce greenhouse gas emissions. AB 341, also called the “Mandatory Commercial Recycling Regulation,” requires businesses and multi-family residential dwellings of five units or more, that generate four or more cubic yards of commercial solid waste per week to implement recycling programs, on or after July 1, 2012. The goal is to divert 75% (previously 50%) of California’s waste stream away from the landfill and instead towards recycling by the year 2020.
For more information, please visit placentia.org/ab341 or contact the Republic Services’ Customer Service team at (714) 238-2444 to sign-up for recycling services.
- AB 341 Brochure (PDF)
- CalRecycle AB 341 Brochure for Businesses (PDF)
- CalRecycle AB 341 Brochure for Businesses (Spanish) (PDF)
Mandatory Commercial Organics Recycling
In October 2014, Assembly Bill (AB) 1826 was signed into law in California to help he state meet its goal to recycle 75 percent of its waste by 2020. AB 1826, also called the "Mandatory Commercial Organics Recycling Regulation," requires businesses, including multi-family buildings with five (5) or more units that generate a specific amount of organic waste per week (yard trimmings, food scraps, and food-soiled paper) to arrange for organics recycling and diversion services according to a tiered implementation schedule.
Organics Recycling Timeline
- April 1, 2016 - Businesses that generate eight or more cubic yards of organic waste shall arrange for organics collection service.
- January 1, 2017 - Generators of four or more cubic yards of organic waste per week are subject to the organic waste diversion requirements.
- January 1,2019 - Generators of four or more cubic yards of commercial solid waste per week are subject to the organic waste diversion requirements.
- Fall 2020: After receipt of the 2019 annual reports submitted on August 1, 2020, CalRecycle shall conduct its formal review of all jurisdictions.
- Summer/Fall, 2021 – If CalRecycle determines that the statewide disposal of organic waste in 2020 has not been reduced by 50% of the level of 2014, the organic recycling requirements on businesses will expand to cover businesses that generate two or more cubic yards of solid waste per week.
Please view the helpful links below to assist in your waste management needs:
- Placentia Recycle Newsletter (PDF)
- Quick List of Acceptable Hazardous Waste Items and Drop-Off Locations
- Solid Waste Collection Ordinance
- Department of Resources, Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle)
- California Department of Conservation
- Department of Toxic Substance Control
For More Information
In order to establish residential or commercial services or to report problems with service, please contact Republic Services at (714) 238-2444.
To report complaints that could not be resolved with Republic Services, please contact the City of Placentia’s Public Works Department at (714) 993-8148.