A building permit shall not be required for the following:
- One-story detached accessory buildings used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses, and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet (11.15m2)
- Fences not over 6 feet (1829 mm) high (unless on property line or within 20ft set back area).
- Oil derricks.
- Movable cases, counters and partitions not over 5 feet 9 inches high (1753 mm).
- Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet (1219 mm) in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II or III-A liquids.
- Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons (18,927 L) and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2:1.
- Platforms, walks and driveways not more than 30 inches (762 mm) above grade and not over any basement or story below.
- Painting, papering and similar finish work.
- Temporary motion picture, television and theater stage sets and scenery.
- Window awnings supported by an exterior wall of Group R, Division 3, and Group U Occupancies when projection not more than 54 inches.
- Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a Group R, Division 3 Occupancy in which the pool walls are entirely above the adjacent grade and if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons (18,927 L).
Unless otherwise exempted, separate plumbing, electrical and mechanical permits will be required for the above-exempted items.
Exemption from the permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction.
Storage Sheds and Playhouses:
No setbacks shall be required for metal storage sheds and playhouses which do not exceed 120 square feet of floor area, are not set on a concrete foundation and are less than six (6) feet in height.
Storage sheds and playhouses which are made of wood or exceed 120 square feet of floor area or are set on a concrete foundation or exceed six (6) feet in height shall be required to observe the setback requirements (from property lines only) established in the zone for accessory structures.
Mobile Home Permits:
The City of Placentia issues permits for initial installation, awning/porch/deck, and permits pertaining to the park itself. All other permits are handled through the State.
Department of Housing and Community Development
Division of Codes and Standards
3737 Main Street, Ste 400
Riverside, CA 92501
(951) 320-6277 Fax