Senate Bill 272 - Enterprise System Catalog
Approved on October 11, 2015, the California Public Records Act was amended adding a section requiring local agencies to create a catalog of Enterprise Systems by July 1, 2016 with annual updates.
"Enterprise System" means a software application or computer system that collects, stores, exchanges, and analyzes information that the agency uses that is both of the following:
An enterprise system does not include any of the following:
- A multi-departmental system or a system that contains information collected about the public.
- A system of record, meaning a system that serves as a n original source of data within an agency.
- Information technology security systems, including firewalls and other cybersecurity systems.
- Physical access control systems, employee identification management systems, video monitoring, and other physical control systems.
- Infrastructure and mechanical control systems, including those that control or manage street lights, electrical, natural gas, or water or sewer functions.
- Systems related to 911 dispatch and operation or emergency services.
- Systems that would be restricted from disclosure pursuant to Section 6254.19.
- The specific records that the information technology system collects, stores, exchanges, or analyzes.
- Create a catalog of enterprise systems, containing:
To make this catalog publicly available upon request.
To post the catalog in a prominent location on the agency's website.
- Current system vendor.
- Current system product.
- A brief statement of the system's purpose.
- A general description of categories or types of data.
- The department that serves as the system's primary custodian.
- How frequently system data is collected.
- How frequently system data is updated.
Nothing in this section shall be construed to permit public access to records held to which access is otherwise restricted by statute. If the public interest served by not disclosing the information described clearly outweighs the public interest served by disclosure, the local agency may instead provide a system name, brief title, or identifier of the system. To read the full text of the Senate Bill please click here
Enterprise System Catalog