Report Fraud, Waste, or Abuse Hotline
Fraud, Waste, and Abuse Reporting
The City of Placentia is committed to conducting its affairs ethically and in compliance with the law. We take pride with delivering high quality services to the community. To ensure we offer efficient, quality services, we offer a 24/7/365 fraud hotline (844) 404-3168 or an online complaint form.
The purpose of the fraud hotline system is to offer City residents, employees, contractors, and any other party an avenue to report:
Any City-related activity or conduct in which he/she suspects instances of fraud, waste, or abuse, and City-related violations of certain federal or state laws and regulations relating to fraud, waste and abuse as defined in California Government Code §53087.6(f)(2).
How to Report
Any resident, employee, or contractor who discovers or suspects inappropriate activity can report in several ways. You can remain anonymous and do not need to provide your personal information. Reporting can occur by:
What to Report
- Hotline Reporting - calling the fraud hotline at (844) 404-3168 (over 180 languages and a live person 24/7/365)
- Online Reporting - filling out an online form through the Fraud Online System
We need sufficient information to properly investigate your complaint. The following information is needed to begin and continue processing of a complaint/concern when the misconduct involves a City of Placentia employee, a City contractor, or organization doing business with the City:
- The name of the individuals or organization
- Specific information regarding the misconduct
- Circumstances surrounding how the alleged misconduct occurred
- Where or in what department the alleged misconduct occurred
- When the misconduct occurred
Whether reporting through the phone hotline service or online service, you will be provided a Report Key Number and password that will allow you to check on the status of the case. Additionally, if we need further information or documents, we will update the case record on the items or details we need you to provide. Thus, we ask that you check in periodically.
Example of Items to Report
Any intentional act or omission designed to deceive others, resulting in the victim suffering a loss and/or the perpetrator achieving a gain.
- Falsifying financial records to conceal the theft of money or City property.
- Theft or misuse of City money, equipment, supplies and/or other materials.
- Soliciting or accepting a bribe or kickback.
- Falsifying payroll information.
The intentional or unintentional, thoughtless or careless expenditure, consumption, mismanagement, use, or squandering of City resources.
- Unnecessary spending of City funds to purchase supplies or equipment.
Intentional destruction, diversion, manipulation, misapplication, maltreatment, or misuse of City resources. Extravagant or excessive use as to abuse one's position or authority. Abuse can occur in financial or non-financial settings.
- Failure to report damage to City equipment or property.
- Receiving favor for awarding contacts to certain vendors.
- Creating unneeded overtime.
- Travel choices that are contrary to existing travel policies or are unnecessarily extravagant or expensive.
- Making procurement or vendor selections that are contrary to existing policies.