- Public Works
- Trash, Recycling, and Organics
- Waste & Recycling
Waste & Recycling in Placentia
Waste Collection Holiday Schedule
Below is Republic Services' holiday schedule. For more information, please visit Republic Services' website or call (714) 238-3300.
|Memorial Day||Monday, May 29, 2023||Service delayed by 1 day|
|Independence Day||Tuesday, July 4, 2023||Service delayed by 1 day|
|Labor Day||Monday, September 4, 2023||Service delayed by 1 day|
|Thanksgiving Day||Thursday, November 23, 2023||Thursday and Friday service delayed by 1 day|
|Christmas Day||Monday, December 25, 2023||Service delayed by 1 day|
|New Year's Day||Monday, January 1, 2024||Service delayed by 1 day|
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Waste reduction/prevention is the most preferred approach to waste management. Waste has associated management costs; therefore, reducing waste will reduce total costs. Learn more about waste reduction by visiting CalRecycle's waste reduction website.
By mitigating the number of materials we buy and use, we automatically lessen the number of materials being sent to the landfill and reduce the waste of unnecessary energy. Here are some examples:
- Turning off lights and faucet when not in use to conserve electricity and water, respectively
- Learn about "watt" you can do to conserve energy and water here
- Walking or biking to your destination instead of using a car
- Purchasing an item in-store to reduce the amount of packaging
- Making a shopping list before going to the grocery store to only buy what you need to reduce wasted food
- If you "carrot" all, click here to get some tips about how you can reduce food waste
These small actions make a difference and can create positive change that are bigger than what you would expect.
Reusing items is a simple idea that "one person's trash is another person's treasure" and prevents materials from entering the waste stream. Repurposing items give them a new lease on life. It can save you money, energy, resources and landfill space.
There are several ways to integrate this into your life, including:
- Shopping at second-hand/thrift stores
- Nearest Goodwill location: 1101 E Imperial Hwy, Placentia, CA 92870
- Donating gently used items to organizations or second-hand/thrift stores
- Opting for reusable items (grocery bags, water bottles, utensils, etc.) instead of disposable ones
- Organizing a toy or book exchange with the community
- Using cardboard delivery boxes to package gifts
- Cleaning out glass jars and using them as flower vases
- Turning old towels or clothes to cleaning rags
"Contain" your excitement and click here to get tips on how you can reuse household items.
Did you ever wonder what happens to recyclables once they are picked up? Take a virtual Recycling Center Tour here. What about the trash that goes to the landfill? Take a glimpse of the County landfills here.
Recycling is the practice of recovering used materials from the waste stream and incorporating those materials into the manufacturing process. View more information about recycling and explore CalRecycle's new I Recycle Smart website.
Check out the Recycle Page to see which items are recyclable. Keep it "glassy" by following these recycling tips.
Hazardous waste materials contain corrosive, toxic, ignitable, or reactive ingredients and need to be handled with care. Do not dispose of these materials in the recycling. To learn more about the County's Household Hazardous Waste Facilities, visit their website.
- "Placentia Recycles" Series
- 2022 International Compost Awareness
- Department of Conservation Recycling Division
- Earth 911
- School Waste Reduction and Recycling
For more information about waste-related matters, contact Cathy Nguyen, Environmental Services Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or (714) 993-8123.