What is Recycling?
Recycling is the practice of recovering used materials from the waste stream and then incorporating those same materials into the manufacturing process to create new products.
Curbside recycling, offered through Republic Services, uses three 96-gallon containers for single-family residents to sort recyclables (green), yard waste (brown), and trash (black). For more information on how to increase your diversion, and to obtain information other current waste-related matter, check out the most recent issue of the Annual Newsletter.
Local Materials Recovery Facility (MRF)
Located nearby in the City of Anaheim, Republic Services' Materials Recovery Facility (MRF) processes recyclables and organics in an effort to achieve state recycling goals and divert materials the landfill to sustain the environment. The state-of-the-art technology, combined with the live support of staff members, allows for an efficient sorting process.
Recyclable materials arrive at MRF from many sources including businesses, homes, curbside collection, public or self-hauling, public drop-off, and collection centers.
Cycle of Recycling
Collecting materials is only the first step toward making the recycling process work. It takes a community effort to properly recycle and ensure materials disposed of in the recycling container are free of contaminants. Successful recycling also depends on manufacturers making products from recovered materials and consumers purchasing products made of recycled materials. Do your part and buy products made of recycled materials whenever possible.
- CalRecycle "Recycle" Page - learn about current state recycling mandates and where to recycle various materials, obtain educational resources
- Orange County Waste & Recycling Homepage - learn all about the local landfills, Household Hazardous Waste Facilities, and the County's programs & projects as a proactive response to bettering our environment
- "Placentia Recycles" on Youtube - learn about best recycling practices in the home and workplace in this four-part series, starring Councilmember Rhonda Shader and Miss Placentia Ashley Nelson
- Environmental Protection Agency "Recycle" Page - learn about the recycling approach from a national level
- Earth 911 Homepage - get information on how to recycle most types of materials as well as a search engine to find collection facilities in your area
- Republic Services' Recycling Simplified Page - learn how to properly recycle and get some fun "how to" tips (like how to recycle during the holidays)