- About Placentia
- Guides for Residents
- Water Conservation
- Restrictions to Water Use
Restrictions to Water Use
On October 19, 2021, Governor Newsom issued a proclamation declaring all counties in the state of California in a State of Emergency due to the statewide drought. The State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB) recently adopted an emergency regulation restricting the irrigation of all non-functional turf areas for all commercial, industrial, and institutional properties as of June 10, 2022. The SWRCB provided exceptions for functional turf areas such as parks, trees planted in turf, and areas irrigated with non-drinkable water.
In addition, in the State the following water uses are permanently restricted:
- Hosing off sidewalks, driveways, and other hardscapes;
- Washing automobiles with hoses not equipped with a shut-off nozzle;
- Using non-recirculated water in a fountain or other decorative water feature;
- Watering lawns in a manner that causes runoff, or within 48 hours after measurable precipitation; and
- Irrigating ornamental turf on public street medians
STAGE 2 WATER SHORTAGE CONTINGENCY PLANS
In addition to the adopted emergency regulation for turf areas, local water providers have enacted Stage 2 of their water conservation contingency plan. Two water providers serve the City of Placentia: the Yorba Linda Water District and Golden State Water Company. Each provider has its own way of implementing its water conservation contingency plan for customers.
YORBA LINDA WATER DISTRICT (YLWD)
YLWD adopted Stage 2 water restrictions that became effective June 14, 2022, including the following:
- Restrictions prohibit the watering of “non-functional turf,” or turf that serves only ornamental purposes in the commercial, industrial, home-owner associations, and institutions sectors for 1 year;
- The non-functional turf irrigation restrictions do not apply to homeowners;
- Voluntary reduction of use by 20% as compared to 2020 consumption;
- YLWD does not have specific restrictions on your water use. Customers can decide the best way to conserve water; and
- For any questions or additional information regarding YLWD restrictions, please visit ylwd.com or call 714-701-3000.
GOLDEN STATE WATER COMPANY (GSWC)
GSWC adopted Stage 2 water restrictions and a 20% water conservation objective that became effective June 26, 2022. These water restrictions would include the following:
- Restrictions prohibit the watering of “non-functional turf,” or turf that serves only ornamental purposes in the commercial, industrial, home-owner association, and institutions sectors for one year;
- All customers are required to reduce use by 20% compared to use in 2020;
- All customers in the GSWC service area will be required to reduce outdoor irrigation to two days per week between 5 p.m. to 9 a.m. Outdoor watering days will be scheduled by addresses ending in odd or even numbers per the table below.
|Addresses Ending in||Watering Days|
|Even Numbers (0, 2, 4, 6, 8)||Sunday, Wednesday|
|Odd Numbers (1, 3, 5, 7, 9)|
- GSWC customers who do not meet the mandatory 20% reduction may be charged a drought surcharge; and
- For any questions or additional information regarding GSWC restrictions, please visit gswater.com or call 800-999-4033.
The Yorba Linda Water District and Golden State Water Company ordinances are asking water users to practice year-round water conservation measures by not doing the following:
- Creating excessive water flow or run-off in gutters, waterways, patios, driveways, or streets
- Irrigating or watering your lawn between 9:00 am and 6:00 pm
- Irrigating or watering your lawn when it is raining
- Using water through broken or defective plumbing, sprinklers, watering, or irrigation systems
- Washing down hard or paved surfaces including driveways and sidewalks
Water users who do not abide by the new ordinances or do not reduce their water use may have penalty fines added to their bills. Any continued willful violations may also lead to either the installation of items that restrict water flow at the customer's expense or the disconnection of water service.
For More Information
For detailed information about your water service provider's ordinances, water use restrictions, and penalties, please contact the Golden State Water Company at (800) 999-4033 or the Yorba Linda Water District at (714) 701-3000.
Reporting Water Waste
Golden State Water Company and Yorba Linda Water District appreciate anyone who witnesses water waste in our community to let us know by completing the forms below. The following information will only be shared with enforcement officials.