Economic Development

The City of Placentia's motto is "A pleasant place to live." It is also a pleasant place to work and shop, and we highly encourage potential businesses to contact the City for more information about relocating to Placentia. This online business guide includes business resources, applications, fee schedules, and more. We aim to continue providing new resources to help new and existing businesses thrive in Placentia. 

Starting a Business in Placentia

We are excited that you decided to open a business in Placentia. This guide will assist you in navigating the various steps to open your business and hold a grand opening celebration quickly.

Building Permits & Zoning

Before you buy or lease property in Placentia, the City encourages you to contact the Building Division at (714) 993-8147 to review any building permits and ensure the building is up to code. In addition, please check with the Planning Division at (714) 993-8268 to ensure your proposed business location is in a properly zoned area or visit their webpage.

Home Based Businesses

Placentia Municipal Code Section 23.81.020 regulates businesses based out of the home. These regulations include requirements that no on-site sales occur, no non-resident of the premises is employed on-site, no direct outdoor storage occurs, and no increase in pedestrian or vehicular traffic occurs due to the business. If you plan to have a business in your home, please contact the City of Placentia Planning Division to determine if your business activity is allowed in a residence. Please review the Home Occupation requirements before contacting the City.

State Licenses

Many occupations, such as physician, attorney, construction contractor, etc., require a State license. You may be required to show proof of this license before a City registration certificate is issued. If you are in doubt about State licensing requirements for your business, contact the State Department of Consumer Affairs at (800) 344-9940 or visit their website. 

City Business License and Permits

All businesses operating in the City of Placentia must have an annual business license for each location. If you are opening a new business, buying an existing business, or transferring a business to your ownership, you must apply for a new business license under your name. Please visit the City's Business License webpage for more information by clicking here.

Filing a Fictitious Name Statement

A fictitious name or Doing Business As (DBA) is the name a business uses other than the owner's name or, in the case of a corporation, one that is different from that registered in the articles of incorporation. The California Business & Professions Code requires you to file a fictitious name statement if you use a fictitious name. It is also essential to do this to enable the consumer to know who they are doing business with. Filing will entitle you to initiate suits for the protection of the name. Most banks require proof of filing to open a business account using a fictitious name. A DBA must be filed with the Orange County Clerk/Recorder, followed by an advertisement in an Orange County newspaper that files public notices. For more information, contact the Orange County Clerk/Recorder at (714) 834-2500 or visit their website. The Orange County Clerk/Recorder has a branch office in Fullerton at 201 N. Harbor Blvd. Office hours are 9:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday - Friday.

Seller's Permit

If your business involves the sale of tangible personal property, either retail or wholesale, you must obtain a seller's permit from the State Board of Equalization (SBOE). As a seller, you must remit sales tax (collected from the consumer at the time of sale) to the SBOE. The SBOE will advise you of the time and manner in which taxes are to be reported and paid. Failure to register for a seller's permit and pay taxes as prescribed may result in a fine or other penalty. For more information, contact the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration at (800) 400-7115 or visit their website.

Federal and State Employer Requirements

All businesses with employees must obtain a federal employer identification number (FEIN) from the U.S. Internal Revenue Service. This is required for the number used to withhold. For more information, please contact the Internal Revenue Service at (800) 829-1040 or their website. 

As an employer, you may also be required to file with the State of California Employer Development Department to withhold employee taxes and meet unemployment insurance requirements. For more information, please contact the Employment Development Department at (888) 745-3886 or (916) 653-0707 or visit their website. 

Alcoholic Beverage License

If your business is going to sell any alcoholic beverages, you must first obtain an Alcoholic Business License from the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control. For more information, call (714) 558-4101 or visit their website.

Alarm System Permit

If you have an alarm in your home or business, you must have a valid Alarm User's Permit. Please click here to apply for an alarm permit.

Building Permits, Signs, and Banners

Building permits may be required if you remodel the structure you plan to occupy. A permit is also required for signs and banners. For further information, contact the Development Services Department at (714) 993-8268.

Comprehensive User Fee Schedule

The City of Placentia is responsible for providing various services to its citizens. Services that support the general public, such as public safety services, are funded by tax and other non-fee revenues. In contrast, user fee charges typically support services that are more elective and have specific individual beneficiaries. To view the City's Comprehensive User Fee Schedule, please click here.

Information and Resources

Additional economic development resources may be obtained by utilizing these outside resources: