AB 341 - Mandatory Commercial & Multi-Family Recycling

AB341 Banner

What is Assembly Bill (AB) 341?

In January 2012, Assembly Bill 341 (AB 341) was signed into law in California to help reduce greenhouse gas emissions. AB 341, also called the "Mandatory Commercial Recycling Regulation," requires businesses and multi-family residential dwellings of five(5) units or more that generate four (4) or more cubic yards of commercial solid waste per week to implement recycling programs, on or after July 1, 2012. The regulatory approach to this legislation has been designed to be extremely flexible.

The goal is to divert 75% (previously 50%) of California's waste stream away from the landfill and instead towards recycling by the year 2020.

What can be recycled?

Here are just a few of the many materials that are able to be recycled.

  • Plastic items #1-5 - Look for the triangle symbol!  
    • (#6 is polystyrene, also known as styrofoam and #7 is "other" (BPA, PLA, etc.), both #6 and #7 cannot be recycled)  
  • Paper - newspaper, magazines, junk mail, books (without binding)
  • Cardboard 
  • Aluminum, tin cans, and foil
  • Glass bottles and jars

To learn how to properly recycle, visit CalRecycle's new I Recycle Smart webpage

How do I arrange for Recycling Services?

The City of Placentia has an agreement with Republic Services as our City's franchise hauler. They offer programs for businesses to help reach our goals, such as commercial recycling, waste audits, and more.  To implement a recycling program with Republic Services or if you have any further questions or concerns, please contact their Customer Service team at (800) 700-8610. You can also view their brochure on AB 341 here.

If you would like further support with AB 341 compliance or if you would like to report your business’ diversion efforts, please contact Cathy Nguyen, Environmental Services Coordinator, at (714) 993-8123 or by email at recycling@placentia.org. 

If you have received a non-compliance letter and would like to request an exemption, please fill out the AB 341 Exemption Request Form

For more resources & information about AB 341, visit: